Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Reason Why

I am a TV commercial.
Three months ago. That was my last post. Three months ago I could tell you that I was happy, I was having fun with my girls, and I was planning for another beautiful baby girl. It was just a couple weeks after my last post when the anxiety hit.
Abbigail's c-section delivery was hard for me. There was a problem with the spinal and I had a panic attack on the operating table. Awesome thing to do when you are totally naked, and numb from the chest down. So I lived in fear as the day drew nearer for Claire to come. Would it be the same as last? Anxiety and fear overwhelmed me, but there is good news. The spinal went great. The surgery was the best out of three... and beautiful Claire was healthy and strong. And for about two weeks so was I.
For those who know don't know I suffered Post Partum Depression with Ella. Much of that had to do with the fact that I went back to a job I hated when she was only six weeks old. I'll never forget the day I walked out on my job, and drove home as fast as I could to be with her. Another panic attack.
With Abbigail, I had three months of maternity leave. It was hard to go back to work, but I truly loved my job and the second time around I was prepared with medication.
I was prepared this time, too. I read books. Prayed. Fasted. Hoped... that my sanity would stick. It didn't. It was as if it happened overnight. Two weeks after Claire's birth my world changed.
No... I'm not Andrea Yates. I would never hurt my children, and I love this new little life as my adorable niece would say, "as big as a redwood tree and more." But for those who have experienced Post-partum Depression, or any depression... it is immobilizing.
One night Jared and I were watching TV when a commercial came on...
-A woman staring out the window, "I just don't find joy in things anymore."
-A man rubbing his eyes, "My sleep just doesn't seem right."
-A mother staring at her beautiful daughter, "I can't deal with the guilt."
..... and more and more and more.
I turned to Jared and said, "I'm a TV commercial." I wasn't sleeping. Poor little Ella took the brunt of my mood swings. I didn't want to get out of bed, get dressed, cook dinner for my family, exercise, or eat. (Me, not eating? Something is definitely wrong.) Worst of all: I didn't want to hold my new baby. The girls would ask why I was crying all day long. It could be easily hidden from the outside world because I was never outside... but my beautiful daughters knew something was wrong. Things came to a head one night, and fortunately our wonderful doctor makes house-calls. He just happens to be our bishop and a truly Godly man.
My biggest question: Why would my Heavenly Father send us this unexpected gift if he knew I was going to suffer this way? My bishop/doctor was able to counsel me, and he and Jared gave me a blessing of healing... and I got a new cocktail of medication. That night Jared called his mom, explained the situation, and the next day she was in Borger to drive me home to Colorado where I stayed for 10 days. A week after that my mom and sister come to Borger with my nephew who is just five days younger than Abbigail. (They make quite the team, sort of like me and Erica.)
Things aren't perfect, but they are better. I hold my baby... all the time. She is perfect, even if she keeps us up all night long. And I have wonderful friends here in Borger who do so much to help me... and a husband who is understanding and patient who I love with ALL my heart. He is up with me at night when that baby isn't sleeping... he takes his turns.
So bare with me as I continue to fight for hopefully only a few more months when my body and hormones go back where they belong. Some days I start feeling sorry for myself, and then I remember those who do have it much worse. And I remember Claire. God gave her to me. Me! I'm not perfect, and he still trusts me with her. Keep us all in your prayers.

6 comments:

McKenzie Hansen said...

Darling - you're girls are so gorgeous! I'm in love with the name Claire! I'm so sorry about the post-partum. My husband's company sells a really really great anti-depressant, and so he's kind of told me of all the crazy things that can happen from anything from a slight imbalance of hormones to something really traumatic (I place having a baby in the traumatic category), and how it's a really painful thing to go through. I hope you're feeling better and I hope it goes away soon for you so you can enjoy your gorgeous daughters!! Take care!! Much love, McKenzie

Beth said...

I love that you shared this, Kat! Your girls are beautiful, you're an amazing lady, and I wish I were closer so that I could help you out in some way. You will definitely be in my prayers! I hope that things start looking up so that you can enjoy every moment with those sweet little girls.

natesarah2@msn.com said...

Kat- I totally understand post-partum depression. It's and awful thing to have happen. After my girls were born I was in the hospital for about 5 almost six days because I had to recieve blood. Well during that timeframe, everytime the doctor's would come into my room, I would burst into tears. I was completely overwhelmed! Anyways I walked down to the NICU to see the girls one morning, and I heard one of their tiny screams of pain and I just lost it! I asked them why they had to poke them so much with needles and such, I was just so angry, confused and overwhelmed over the fact that, not only did I just have THREE babies at once, but they were all in the NICU and I didn't know how long they would be there. So my doctor's came into the NICU to get me, took me back to my room, and said they wanted me to try some anti-depressants. Don't get me wrong, after 7 1/2 years of trying to have children, I was very happy, yet at the same time full of confusing emotion. So, I'm sorry that you had to experience post pardom depression. It's not a fun thing. :( Hugs to you!

Melissa said...

Hang in there Kat we will keep you in our prayers I think a lot of women can identify with this and I think it will help some deal with this real situation. You are a great mom and woman we miss you here in CO. Melissa

Lindsay said...

Oh, Kat. I love you! What a beautiful, honest post. I'm so glad you're starting to feel better...but don't beat yourself up if it takes a while! It took me about a year to feel back under control after the third child - - - I'll be praying for you. :)

Heather said...

Wow, Kat - You are so brave and wonderful. I hope you know that you and your sweet girls (and Jared) are in a lot of prayers. I hope things are good. You have a sweet family. Love to you all. Love, Heather Cloninger